Saturday, April 26, 2014

Work it, girl!

Some of you know I started running again last summer. I ran daily starting when I was 12. I stopped when I found out I was pregnant with Emorie. Then the demands of motherhood got in the way and I just stopped.

Emorie was two before I began running again. I knew I ultimately wanted to run four miles at once. I started jogging one mile and walking three, knowing that every other month, I'd increase my running by one mile.  It was difficult and it took forever before I began to notice any real progress. Slowly but surely, my average pace per mile began to increase.

By the time I went back to work in August, I was jogging 4 miles at a pace of 14 minutes per mile. Now that I have been running again for ten months, I have altered my fitness schedule. I am running four miles three nights a week and doing strength training three nights a week.

I'm very careful about what I eat. I eat whole grains, proteins, fruits, veggies and lean meats. I've lost 25 pounds and feel better than ever. My blood sugar has been a lot better, too.

I have had to work hard to make myself stuck to this fitness regimen. I love competition, so I have entered several 5ks and a half marathon this year to stay motivated. I love the challenge and the feeling I get from beating my times in previous races.

What do you do to stay fit?

No comments:

Post a Comment